Monday, February 28, 2011

In Class Still Life

Over the course of three classes, I created a still life drawing. After the first two sessions I erased a good portion of what I completed. What I ended up with at the end of the third day was my final product. I didn't get a picture of what I had at the end of day one, but I have pictures of what I had after days two and three.


The Original Still Life


 
















Day Two Images




 The apple to the left was one of my favorite parts of the drawing at the end of day two. At the end of the first day I realized it was too small, so I drew it again the second day. At the conclusion of day one, the apple was still very spherical, and that also changed on day two.









 This is a flamingo head on day two. This was also something I really impressed myself with. The angle I was working from was difficult. My instructor commented on how I did well creating the depth it needed. There wasn't much about the flamingo that changed throughout my process.















This is what I had at the end of day two before I erased. The right side of the picture is more completed than the left side. At this point, I was still trying to figure out the size of all the objects next to the flamingo. I erased most of that half at the end of the day. 










 This is a closer look of the half that needed the most work. The object to the right of the flamingo is a light bulb, and to the right of that, another apple. In reality, there was more space between those objects. The angle of the flamingo's neck also needed work. 














Day Three Images

This is what I ended up with at the conclusion of day three. Overall I am very pleased with how it turned out.

I used darker lines with the objects closer to the front of the still life, and lighter lines for the objects in the back. It is a good way to attempt to demonstrate depth in an image.









This is the same apple I was proud of on the second day. It had a pine cone in front of it, and I put off drawing it until the last day. It had a lot of detail. My instructor commented on how my first couple of attempts looked too generic and I wasn't paying attention to the specific shapes in the object.  He marked three points in the center of the pine cone to help give me a starting point. From there it was easier to pick out the individual shapes without getting lost. I think the end product came out looking much better than my other attempts.




On this half, where I had the most adjusting to do, I was able to create more space between the light bulb and the apple. I also gave the bell pepper behind the pumpkin more of a defined shape. I also added more lines to demonstrate that there was a cloth draped over the table, and drew in the grapes that were there. On the flamingo, I gave the beak and eye more accurate shapes.













The right half of the picture. Since the pine cone came out so dark, I darkened my other lines so it wouldn't seem so out of place. I also added some more grapes.














Comparing days two and three...













                                   
              
  

No comments:

Post a Comment